120.201 (16W) Lifelong Learning in Museums
- LV-Titel englisch
- Lifelong Learning in Museums
- Seminar (prüfungsimmanente LV )
- 12 (35 max.)
- mögliche Sprache/n der Leistungserbringung
- zum Moodle-Kurs
Zeit und Ort
The purpose of this course is to help students understand the role and fuction of museum education in nowadays’ postmodern society. The course develops skills which are important for working on the field of museum education. By fullfilling the course requirements students will be able to plan and apply traditional and innovative museum education methods and museum learning programs for diverse age groups. Students will be aware of the theoretical background and current international trends of museum learning.
The course is a seminar thus active participation of students is required. Applied teaching methods: lecture; discussions; individual tasks for student; group works, presentations
1.) Historical development of museums. Changing role of the collections/museums.
2.) New tendencies in museum learning and museum education. Museums and the postmodern/ learning society. Cultural, educational and social roles of the museum nowadays.
3.) Type of museums: The Art Museum, The Natural History Museum, The Museum of Science and Technology, The History Museum, Botanical Gardens and Zoos
4.) Great museums of Europe. Great museums in the USA;
5.) International museum organizations
6.) The educational role of the museum- theory. Informal, nonformal and formal learning in the museum. Learning theories/ strategies in the museum.
7.) Museum education methodology. Museum education methods for diverse age groups/ target groups.
8.) Museums as places for lifelong learning. Museums and adult education. Applied methods and programs of adult learning in museums.
9.) The exhibition from the point of view of learning. Creating exhibitions for learning. Kinds of exhibits, design, techniques, labels; Museum and interpretation. Telling stories trought objects and images. Requirements, methods and tools of interactivity.
10.) Museums on the Internet; Innovative museum websites promoting museum learning.
11.) Museum marketing and management. Communication and Public Relations in connection with museum learning and museum education.
12.) Museums and the local community.
13.) Volunteer programs in the museum.
14.) Evaluation and visitor studies
Museum learning report (written): 40%
Museum learning report (class presentation): 30%
Museum education project (group work): 30%
- active participation in class discussions
- museum learning report (written form)- (5 pages)
- museum learning report (class presentation) - (20 min.)
- museum education project (group work) - (6-7 pages + class presentation)
Assignment 1: Museum learning report (written form, 5 pages)
Museum learning report is based on individual museum visit. The museum learning report presents and analyses the museum from museum learning aspects. Especially
- Does the exhibition space support museum learning? (interpretation; interactivity; labels, special tools; museum brochures, publications)
- Does the website of the museum promote museum learning? In which ways?
- What kind of museum education programs (children- adolescents-adults) offered by the museum?
- What kind of educational methods are applied by the museum educators?
- Are there learning opportunities for people with disabilities? (special labels, special devices, etc.)
- Could museum guards provide information in English/other foreign language?
- What was the student’s personal impression of the museum?
- What would the student improve in the museum in order to promote museum learning? (exhibition space, website, labels, programs, etc.)
Assignment 2: Class presentation- Museum learning report
20 min. oral presentation about the museum learning report (individual museum visit and analysis). Check the aspects of study in Assignment 1.
with ppt slides
Assignment 3: Museum education project (group work)
3 students in a group, Students present their group work in a paper (written form- 6-7 pages) and through an oral presentation with ppt slides during the last class of the semester.
Content: Students plan a museum education program for an optional museum in Austria. The target group is optional. Students should consider the following:
- pedagogical/adult learning aim of the program
- preparation for the museum education program
- detailed schedule of the museum education program
- number of participants and museum educators
- defining the target group
- adequate museum education methods for the certain group/theme/pedagogical aim
- communication and marketing aspects
Position im Curriculum
- Masterstudium Erwachsenen- und Berufsbildung
(SKZ: 847, Version: 09W.3)
Modul: Anwendungsorientierte Bildungsforschung und Entwicklung in der Erwachsenen- und Berufsbildung
Internationale Forschungs- und Entwicklungsfelder (
2.0h SE / 4.0 ECTS)
- 120.201 Lifelong Learning in Museums (2.0h SE / 4.0 ECTS) Absolvierung im 3., 4. Semester empfohlen
- Internationale Forschungs- und Entwicklungsfelder ( 2.0h SE / 4.0 ECTS)
- Modul: Anwendungsorientierte Bildungsforschung und Entwicklung in der Erwachsenen- und Berufsbildung
- Fach: Pflichtfächer (Pflichtfach)