180.804 (17S) Media and Convergence Project Management: Game Design
- LV-Titel englisch
- Media and Convergence Project Management: Game Design
- Kurs (prüfungsimmanente LV )
- 22 (30 max.)
- mögliche Sprache/n der Leistungserbringung
- zum Moodle-Kurs
Zeit und Ort
By way of hands-on lecture input, student projects and presentations as well as self-directed studying, students will practice and thus acquire critical/cultural thinking skills that will help them develop a critical understanding and appreciation of (video) game design.
Students will actively get involved in creating their own game(s) and learning about game design principles. This should provide them with a sound general basis for further investigations and research.
Dynamic lecture inputs for theoretical and basic background; close readings of weekly/monthly reading assignments; in-class discussions; student projects (creating their own game).
Video games are an integral part of our culture and, as a business, have become the biggest entertainment industry in recent years. Its distinctive characteristics are the subject of various theories and academic discourses. This class will give an overview of video game designs. Using the example, among others, of ‘Academy Adventure’ – the first official video game of the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt created by the two lecturers – students will gain insights into the complex production processes of an ambitious game. In addition, they are provided with theoretical background in conceptualizing a video game and get firsthand experience in creating their own game.
- What’s a game? Interactivity and Immersion
- Basic Rules and Standards: Terminology and Concepts
- Narrative – How games tell stories
- History of Video Games – Genres & Development
- Games, Aesthetics and Art Design
- Analysis and Discussions of sample game ACADEMY ADVENTURE
All relevant reading material will be made available to you in digital form on Moodle. EVERY student is directed & required to obtain and use these resources in order to successfully participate in class.
Reading packets will be provided in digital form on a weekly/monthly basis. There is no need to buy any books. Main course books: TBA
This class is team-taught by Dr. Roman Mandelc (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mr. ArminLippitz, MA (email@example.com). As a general rule, any email queries need to be sent to BOTH course instructors. FIRST MEETING on March 03. There is a drop-by date: TBA. Dropping out later will automatically result in a fail grade.
Topic of student choice (must be relevant for discussions in video game design or connected to student project).
Final grade is an aggregate (three pillars of assessment): 25% active participation, 25% presentation of student project, 50% seminar paper.
Position im Curriculum
- Masterstudium Media and Convergence Management
(SKZ: 150, Version: 13W.2)
Fach: Organisational Communication and Media Management (OAM)
Media and Convergence Project Management (OAM) (
2.0h KU / 4.0 ECTS)
- 180.804 Media and Convergence Project Management: Game Design (2.0h KS / 4.0 ECTS) Absolvierung im 2. Semester empfohlen
- Media and Convergence Project Management (OAM) ( 2.0h KU / 4.0 ECTS)
- Fach: Organisational Communication and Media Management (OAM) (Pflichtfach)