602.405 (20W) BUS 9: Sustainability Management
Weitere Informationen zum Lehrbetrieb vor Ort finden Sie unter: https://www.aau.at/corona.
- LV-Titel englisch
- BUS 9: Sustainability Management
- zum Moodle-Kurs
Zeit und Ort
This course is an introduction to corporate sustainability management. The aim of this course is to help students to build up the ability to be able to investigate this topic from a management perspective but also from the perspective of different stakeholders such as consumers, investors and the general public. Further, this course provides students with a background and frameworks that they can use to identify, analyze and solve sustainability issues in a business context.
Lehrmethodik inkl. Einsatz von eLearning-Tools
Lecture, readers (case studies), discussions
The course is structured into 6 modules. Besides theoretical input that is provided in form of a lecture the students will have the possibility to apply and deepen their knowledge through the reading and discussion of case studies.
Topics that are covered in this course:
- Module 1: Background on corporate sustainability management (e.g., climate change, social issues, UN SDGs, sustainability transitions)
- Module 2: Risk and issues management (e.g., "inside-out perspective": social, environmental, political or regulatory risks in the context of sustainability and "outside-in perspective": e.g., issues related to corruption, inequality, poverty, resource depletion, forest destruction)
- Module 3: Stakeholder management (groups and individuals who can affect or be affected by the business, such as consumers, employees, governments, citizens)
- Module 4: Strategic differentiation (e.g., creating "shared value", i.e., developing sustainable value propositions to stakeholders for the purpose of gaining competitive advantage)
- Module 5: Business model innovation and transformation (i.e., business models to address sustainability issues)
- Module 6: Managing change (managing change on an organizational, leadership and mindset level to develop and implement sustainable business practices)
No prior knowledge in this field required.
Overall topics and case studies are based on:
Lenssen, Gilbert G., & Smith, N. Craig (Eds.) (2019). Managing Sustainable Business, Springer. – freely available as eBook at the AAU library
Further literature recommendations/readings will be provided during the course.
Geänderte Prüfungsinformationen (COVID-19 Ausnahmeregelung)
The exam takes place as an online exam viaMoodle. More detailed information will follow in the lecture.
Online exam via Moodle
Course materials (Moodle) + discused cases fromthe textbook "Managing Sustainable Business" (Lenssen &Smith, 2019)
Position im Curriculum
- Bachelorstudium International Business and Economics
(SKZ: 516, Version: 19W.1)
Fach: Principles of Business
1.10 BUS 9: Sustainability Management (
0.0h VO, VI / 4.0 ECTS)
- 602.405 BUS 9: Sustainability Management (2.0h VO / 4.0 ECTS) Absolvierung im 1., 2., 3. Semester empfohlen
- 1.10 BUS 9: Sustainability Management ( 0.0h VO, VI / 4.0 ECTS)
- Fach: Principles of Business (Pflichtfach)