780.221 (20W) Game Studies
Weitere Informationen zum Lehrbetrieb vor Ort finden Sie unter: https://www.aau.at/corona.
- LV-Titel englisch
- Game Studies
- mögliche Sprache/n der Leistungserbringung
- zum Moodle-Kurs
The written exam for this lecture will be held in an online format!
Zeit und Ort
Understand the basic concepts and critical dimensions of game studies, their historical development, as well as current debates and perspectives in the field. Become familiar with central authors, foundational texts, and defining theories. Learn to contextualise videogames in various critical frameworks and participate in the analysis of sample material during the lecture.
At the end of the semester, you will be well equipped to competently analyse videogames from a cultural perspective in an academic framework and to draw essential connections between theories, games, and society.
Lehrmethodik inkl. Einsatz von eLearning-Tools
Important notice: The seminar is going to be held fully online. Detailed instructions on how this class is going to function are going to be provided by your lecturers on Moodle or via e-mail.
Lecture sessions with discussions of selected videogame examples. Integrated e-learning blocks.
This blended learning lecture will give students an overview of core topics in game studies. It will provide historical and social context, as well as signature examples for each of the topics treated.
Students will not be expected to buy any material as everything they need will be made available on Moodle.
Written, ONLINE open book exam with combinations of multiple choice (MC) and open answers (OA).
- Students will have a window of 2h to download the exam sheet from our Moodle page and then upload it again with their answers.
- There are twelve question combinations, one for each of the thematic sessions, and each of them is worth a maximum of 10 points in total:
- Multiple choice questions have three possible answers and exactly one is correct: 4 points if the correct answer is ticked off; 0 points if answered incorrectly or empty
- Open answer questions require a short paragraph of max. 100 words each: they score 0 to 6 points each, depending on the quality of your answer
- You must choose exactly 10 of the 12 combinations
- Points-to-Grade Key:
100 – 91 points = 1A, or First Grade
90 – 81 points = 2B, or Upper Second Grade
80 – 61 points = 3C, or Lower Second Grade
60 – 51 points = 4D, or Pass Grade
50 points and below = 5F, or Fail Grade
- Cheating is a serious offence and will result in an automatic 5F on the exam!
Only material discussed in class will be part of the exam.
MC questions ask students to reproduce basic information from the sessions.
OA questions require the ability to contextualise and critically reflect upon theories and games.
Position im Curriculum
- Masterstudium Game Studies and Engineering
(SKZ: 992, Version: 17W.2)
Fach: Game Studies
Game Studies (
0.0h VO / 4.0 ECTS)
- 780.221 Game Studies (2.0h VO / 4.0 ECTS) Absolvierung im 1. Semester empfohlen
- Game Studies ( 0.0h VO / 4.0 ECTS)
- Fach: Game Studies (Pflichtfach)